We want you to know you are not alone. We are here to provide a safe and supportive space to explore the profound experience of grief and loss. No two people grieve in the same way. It can be a unique, complex and lonely journey, and for these reasons, we offer a variety of supports in both formal and informal settings. Support can be introduced in the anticipatory grief stages, as you prepare for a death.
To participate in the Grief and Bereavement Program, you do not require a prior connection to us as a hospice program client. Currently, due to demand, we are expanding our services to the wider community, beyond persons who had received hospice care from us.
We offer support for unique individual needs and group support where grief can be openly shared with others who have experienced a loss. The group setting can provide shared comfort as each person gives and receives support, and gains encouragement and hope for their own grief journey.
Grief and bereavement support is offered at no cost, and includes:
- One on one bereavement and anticipatory grief support, both professional and volunteer
- Music Therapy
- Bereaved Parent Support Groups (for those who have experienced the death of a child)
- Bereavement Support Groups
- Social Walking Groups
- Information and referral to other bereavement and community supports
- Annual Garden Memorial in June and Candlelight Memorial Service in December
Testimonials from grief and bereavement clients: One-on-one grief support has been greatly appreciated for those who experienced the death of a child, the death of a spouse after several years together, or those separated by death after 60+ years. We often receive positive feedback on our supports: “I couldn’t get through this without your help.” “You understand when no one else does.”
Testimonial from a grieving widow: “You really understand what I am going through and have been a loving and compassionate presence in the worst time of my life. I know now a future is possible. Thank you.”
Family bereavement support testimonials:
- From a dad: “It’s been really good to be with other men who are grieving.”
- From a mom: “This has been the best week ever for my family!”
- From a child sibling: “When you love someone, it’s a nice feeling in your heart. I love Emily’s House.”
- From a mom: “It was great to be able to laugh, cry, be angry and still feel safe.”
To request support, please contact our Client Services Department at (416) 363-9196, or email [email protected]